Friday, July 29, 2011

I am a Triathlete!

the beginning of this month I competed in my first triathlon up in Logan. It was amazing! Here I am right before the race with my cousin Wade.
Most triathlons are in open water, but I decided to do my first one in a pool. I am not a strong swimmer and am certainly not fast. I was worried I might get tired and have to back stroke, but I was able to achieve my goal of doing it all on my front, either freestyle or breast stroke.
The bike ride was my favorite part: 12.1 miles through beautiful Cache Valley.
My cousin Wade on the 3.1 mile run.
This is moments before I crossed the finish line!
We had wonderful cheerleaders! My cousin Ann Marie had originally planned to race with us, but she's been busy planning a wedding instead of training. I'm excited for Joe to join our family! They and Brad were such good sports to come all the way up to watch us that early!
It may have only been a sprint (half the Olympic distance), but it was a great start. It was really so much fun and I wasn't even sore afterwards; I surely should have pushed myself harder. For my own benefit of trying to beat my times, I'll post them. My swim was 17:33.2, my bike was 48:50.4, the run was 36:41.2 and my overall including transitions was 146:13.0. I definitely want to do another triathlon and hope to do the Cache Valley Sprint again next year! We're officially triathletes!
Thank you to wonderful Aunt Angie who slept over at our house Friday night so that we could leave at six in the morning and not worry about our kids all morning. We love you Angie!

2 comments:

Laura said...

You are awesome and should be so proud of yourself. I don't think I could ever do the swimming. I don't really know how to do any strokes. I would have to take some lessons first. I am glad you had people to take pictures and to cheer you on. Good luck on training for your next big whatever. Your and inspiration.

Tobi said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad you loved it! I wish I had a race to look forward to this year. What was your time?