Sunday, September 05, 2010

Jason's Such a Trooper!

Saturday Brad spent most of the day studying, so I spent most of the day with the boys out of the house. He still wasn't done around in the late afternoon, so the boys and I went a block away to the playground. The boys rode their scooter and little horse bike down. They had been having a grand time for almost a half hour building a giant pile of rock chips near the stairs. Jason fell off the side of the playground stairs (3rd stair up) and I went to help him out. Anyone with little kids knows that they fall all the time and usually rebound within a minute or two. Jason is very resilient and rarely cries even long enough for me to get to him. This time, however, he kept crying. I picked him up and his horse and told Parker we'd better head home. By the time we got back he'd stopped crying, but wasn't his cheerful self. I told Brad how he'd fallen and so we were watching for injuries. We gave him some cut up strawberries. He picked up a piece with his left hand, but couldn't seem to lift it to his mouth. Poor kid!

That was enough for me. Brad and I packed him in the car and drove over to the local Instacare. Jason was cheerful when we got there. He pointed to the fish in the tank in the waiting room, but only with his right hand. Luckily we only waited a few minutes. The doctor examined him and then Brad took him back for x-rays. Sure enough, when he tried to catch himself from his fall he got a compression fracture on his radius right above his wrist.
(It's kind of cute to see Brad holding his hand in the x-rays.)

It didn't seem to hurt him, but he was not a fan of the doctor and nurses wrapping up his splint. At least he got a few suckers out of it. Once we were home, he was pretty pleased about it. He especially liked the cool stickers they gave him. When we put him to bed, however, he promptly took off his splint. We finally got him to sleep, but a few hours later he woke up again and threw off his splint. Brad and I ended up putting him in our bed for the night. He slept great, but Brad and I did not. (For me it wasn't a great hardship since I don't sleep well anyway at 38 weeks pregnant.)He has adapted so quickly. Last night he had a hard time climbing up on things, but now he can get up on his bed or the couch just about as fast as ever. He still carries a bunch of things around (like our arrows from our Book of Mormon party. On Tuesday we'll get a regular cast. Honestly I feel really grateful we've lasted this long. Brad, Parker and I have never broken a bone, so Jason is the first in the family. The break could have been much worse, but luckily it wasn't. Our little guy is such a trooper. He seems to be as happy as ever!

**Update: Tuesday, September 7**
Today Jason got his cast. He was not a fan of getting more X-rays or of the doctor wrapping on his cast, but once it was on he was happy again. Here he's showing off the little froggy the doctor gave him. You can see his new light blue cast.

**Update: Thursday, September 9**
Yesterday about 4:55 I turned my back on Jason for 30 seconds and he threw off his cast. I don't know if more swelling had gone down, but somehow he got it off. I threw the boys in the car and raced over to the pediatricians hoping to catch them before they left. Thank goodness we caught one to recast his arm. So far he hasn't wriggled free again, so let's hope we won't have a repeat offender!

6 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh poor little Jason.. he is such a trooper. This must be the year for broken arms in our family! I can't believe you and Brad have never broken a bone. Crazy! Can't wait to see you guys tonight!

Kathy said...

Poor little guy, but he will recover quickly. Lance got a compression fracture of his femur when he was about 7 months old and it didn't slow him down at all. He acted like nothing was wrong, even with a cast on his leg.

Nikki said...

Oh no! That makes me so sad! :( I hate it when little guys get hurt. He is so cute though. I wish we could stop them from those ouchies. How are you feeling? Ready for that baby to be out?!

Jennifer said...

Poor baby :) He sure looks cute in his little cast though, lol

Erin:) said...

Jen so....i totally just saw you commented on Nicky's blog and i was hoping i could find a link to you so we could catch up! Its been way too long, and i can't believe you have 2 1/2 little ones;)

Sorry for the "blog stalking" but im happy i found you! love to catch up some time:)

erin parkin

*Heather* said...

Poor guy! Do you need anything? Give him hugs for us! He does look so grown up & cute in his blue cast though.