Monday, April 27, 2009

Halfway There

So a couple of days ago I achieved my halfway mark on my goal to lose 50 pounds. It took me almost three and a half months, but I've been working hard and losing it the right way. It's pretty cool that I am 43 pounds lighter than I was at the beginning of December (nine months pregnant). Here are a few of the things that have helped me lose the weight:

1- KEEPING TRACK of my food intake and exercise. I use Gyminee. It's free and easy to use. I can just type in what I ate and it calculates the calories for me. It let's me eat fractions of a serving and create my own foods. It also keeps track of protein, carbohydrates and fat. It helps you set calorie goals based on your goal weight and your activity level. It also shows you average calories burned by different exercises and therefore can keep track of what you're burning as well. Gyminee has really helped me a lot.

2- NUTRIENT-RICH FOODS It's pretty easy to feel full without consuming too many calories if you eat smart. Protein and fiber are great fillers, so eat plenty, but make sure with fiber you gradually increase your intake. A few of my favorite filling foods are Western Family Non-Fat Yogurt, Low-Fat Cottage Cheese, South Beach High Protein Peanut Butter Bars, deli-sliced baked chicken or turkey, Progresso Light Soups, apples, Special K, Fiber-One Honey Clusters and Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers. Because I am still nursing, I make especially sure to get enough dairy and not let my calories get too low, usually between 1400-1900. If I weren't nursing I'd probably go for 1300-1700 calories daily. I am 5' 6 1/2" and actively exercising, so your goals might be different. I quite often eat regular fattening stuff (yesterday I made delicious cheese and meat lasagna), but I just try to eat well otherwise and can keep my calories low. The hard things are sweets. A few days ago I ate 8 peices of licorice, that's 300 calories or almost the same as one serving of my lasagna. Be very conscientious of candy and sugary drinks.

3- FUN EXERCISES Up until a month ago, I almost always ran for exercise. I still do run, but i have discovered Exercise TV and have found that there are some really fun exercises. There are over 100 free full-length workout videos available. It's a little cheesy, but my very favorite is Teri Ann Krefting's Dorm Room Workout. I also really like Cindy Whitmarsh's cardio videos as well. I use 10 pound hand weights, but I had to work up to it. Just find something active that you enjoy and that you can do with the kids if you need to.
I still have more to lose, but I am feeling great and am excited about the progress. I started a blog that focuses more on my health and fitness goals and I'd love any of your ideas. Good luck to anyone else who is trying to achieve a healthier lifestyle!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Jen I am so proud of you, you are definitely a trooper! I know how tough it is because I'm going through it too. You keep it up, I know you'll reach your goal! You can buy a new swimsuit for Bear Lake! :)