I'm cursed! I don't know if it's a mom thing or a me thing, but if I have to get up in the night, especially if it's for more than a minute, then I have a really hard time falling back asleep. I can be exhausted, but it may take an hour or more to get back to sleep. LAME!
I don't know if I had this problem prior to having kids, because I rarely if ever had to get up in the night before them. Of course when there's a newborn, you get up all the time, so with my added curse, I basically live on zero sleep for weeks.
I know there are some moms out there who have to get up every night with their kids for years, but luckily Parker started sleeping through the night (at least 7 1/2 hours) when he was 3 1/2 months old and Jason was sooner at 2 1/2 months. My kids still wake up in the night regularly, but not every night. The last week has been worse than usual. More often than not, I've been awoken at 3:00 or 4:00 to help one or both. Last night takes the prize of the week though. Just before 4:30 I had to get up with Jason. I fed him, changed him and went back to bed. About 20 minutes later, just as my alertness is starting to fade, Parker comes in and tells me he wet the bed. I am SO GLAD that he doesn't do that often, because it means I have to be up for a while. After showering Parker, puting on new jammies, changing the sheets and matress pad and taking them down to the washer it's always been at least 20 minutes. It should be faster, but it never is. So I get him back down in his room and go back to bed. Ten minutes later I hear his door open and a light switch flick on. I figure I'd better go check it out. I'm glad I did. Parker had marched into Baby Jason's room and was trying to wake him. I turned off the light, ushered Parker out and locked Jason's door. I let Parker have his own light on so that he could play, since he wouldn't sleep. I go back to bed at about 5:50 a.m. I had finally fallen asleep when Parker comes into our room again at 6:20. It takes a while, but I convince him to go watch PBS Kids. Well, he went, but that was the end of my chance for sleep, because he kept coming in every fifteen minutes afterwards.
Then, when Brad got out of the shower he found Parker in the bathroom hiding something from him. "What have you got, Parker?" Eventually Parker shows him the bobby pin he was clutching. "What's that for? "I'm going to open Jason's door with it." He saw that on one of Brad's video games, I think. What are we going to do with this kid?
Well, sorry to all those other moms (or dads) who haven't had a good night's rest either, especially those like me who are cursed with insomnia at times. It's a good thing kids are so cute! Let's hope for a good night's sleep tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment