Thursday, September 30, 2010

Expecting the Best

I love General Conference weekend! For those not of our faith, twice a year we get to hear messages from the prophet and other leaders of the Church. That is this upcoming weekend. The messages are given from the Conference Center in Salt Lake City and broadcast on television, radio and on the internet. They will also be printed in Church magazines next month. The women and men of the church each get a special session especially targeted for them. Ours was last Saturday and I really enjoyed it. I especially liked the message from our prophet, Thomas S. Monson. Here is an excerpt from his talk, entitled "Charity Never Faileth":

"Tonight, however, I have in mind the charity that manifests itself when we are tolerant of others and lenient toward their actions, the kind of charity that forgives, the kind of charity that is patient.
I have in mind the charity that impels us to be sympathetic, compassionate, and merciful, not only in times of sickness and affliction and distress but also in times of weakness or error on the part of others.
There is a serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted. True charity is love in action. The need for charity is everywhere...
Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down. It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings. It is accepting people as they truly are. It is looking beyond physical appearances to attributes that will not dim through time. It is resisting the impulse to categorize others...
Rather than being judgmental and critical of each other, may we have the pure love of Christ for our fellow travelers in this journey through life. May we recognize that each one is doing her best to deal with the challenges which come her way, and may we strive to do our best to help out."


It isn't that I personally struggle a lot with judging or feeling judged. I'm afraid it happens, but hopefully not much. What I love about this talk, is the idea of assuming the best in others. We don't always know the struggles of others. I strive to think the best of others and love the reminder to do so. One of my all-time favorite quotes is on this very subject. Marvin J. Ashton observed,

"Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don't judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone's differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn't handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another's weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other."

I am determined to be better about assuming the best in others. I am even more determined to try to help others. I love being motivated to improve and can't wait for more of that this weekend!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

That little snippit was meant for me. Thank you sooo much for posting this. It was my birthday on Sat, and I missed the broadcast. I've been struggling a lot with some of the actions of one of my in-laws, and I couldn't help but think of her as I read this. Thank you for reminding me to be more Christlike, and cut her some slack. I'm going to have to read the rest of the messages too:)