They also showed and told us about many different ways to use this fantastic recipe. One of the other bonuses about this recipe is that every ingredient has a shelf-life of at least 18 months, so you can store them for your food storage and it's something that you can easily rotate through because it's so good. Also, this costs 25-50 cents per loaf. That's WAY cheaper than buying it at the store!
PANTRY SECRETS HOMEADE BREAD RECIPE
5 1/4 c. white bread flour or wheat flour* (not All-purpose flour)
1/4 c. sugar (white, brown, honey, etc.)
1/2 T. salt
1 1/2 rounded T. Saf-Instant yeast (Gold or Red)
1 1/2 T. liquid soy lecithin (guess rather than measure because it's so sticky)
2 c. hot tap water (probably you'll need 1/2 c. more)
Mix dry ingredients. Add lecithin and water. Mix for 1 minute and check consistency. If dough isn't VERY STICKY, add more water. Be sure not to add any additional flour. Mix for 5 minutes in a mixer. Spray your counter with Pam, knead for 30 seconds and shape loaves. (Or if you're doing it by hand, as soon as it's mixed enough to pull out of the bowl, start to knead it. You'll need to knead it about 10 minutes by hand before shaping dough.) Put loaves in Pam sprayed pans and cover loaves with a dish towel. Let raise 25 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
*For whole wheat bread, use the same recipe, but add 1/2 cup applesauce with the hot tap water and use an extra 1/2 T. lecithin.
(Click on the images to enlarge them.)

7 comments:
I went to the Health Food Store today and they were out of Liquid Lecithin. The clerk seemed surprised until I told her about the bread recipe! My sister loves this bread recipe, I have yet to try it, but I am excited to try it when I can buy some Lecithin!
I bought my lecithin and Saf-Instant yeast at Kitchen Kneads.
Thanks Jen! I'm totally gonna try this!! :D
I've heard about this from a few people & when my SIL told me about it & that she was ordering some lecithin I told her to order me some also.. I'll be in Utah in 2 weeks to pick it up.. YIPPEE! Can't wait to try it.
How many times can one make bread in a week after gettting this recipe? Ha, ha! I laughed to see you've already made this a couple times - by hand no less. I have a mixer, and I've made this 3 times since our class last Thurs! It's funny to see that we made all the same things - bread, pizza, buns, aand braids! I'm telling ya- I love making this stuff! The bread turned out great - especially the 1/2 batch I made w/ 60% red wheat flour. And who can beat 1 hour from start to baked bread? It's true! I have to say your braid looks awesome; can you give me pointers on the construction? I am most proud of the Kaiser rolls though. I cannot believe we ate homemade sloppy joes tonight on homemade buns (that tasted excellent too)! I love this stuff! If you haven't already, you have to make french toast from the bread - it is good stuff! My kids about died when I served hot breakfast instead of cereal. So fun!
Jen, where is this Kitchen Kneads store? I'd really like to get the ingredients!
Kitchen Kneads is about 3030 S and Grant St. in Ogden. They also have a locations in Logan and West Valley. Really you could get these at any baking specialty store. In Salt Lake there's Orson Gygi too.
Post a Comment