Thursday, January 21, 2010

Aspire to Greatness in Parenting

Lately I have been pondering on my favorite job, my duty as a mother. I LOVE IT! Well, mostly I do. There are times when my kids wake up AGAIN in the night, when I smell a fowl stench reeking from my child's diaper or when my kids are unkind and screaming... for all of these I am less than pleased at the idea of going to their aid. For the most part, however, I love that I can spend time with my children. For the first few years of Parker's life I had to work and was not able to be there with him full-time. I am so grateful that now I can.

Sometimes I wonder if I am proactive and consciencious enough as a mother. Do I let bonding opportunities pass me by because I am too busy? Surely I do. I am trying and determined to be even better. One of my friends (Thanks Kristen) had a wonderful quote on her blog from Marjorie P. Hinckley:

"Think about your particular assignment at this time in your life. It may be to get an education, it may be to rear children, it may be to be a grandparent, it may be to care for and relieve the suffering of someone you love, it may be to do a job in the most excellent way possible, it may be to support someone who has a difficult assignment of their own. Our assignments are varied and they change from time to time. Don't take them lightly. Give them your full heart and energy. Do them with enthusiasm. Do whatever you have to do this week with your whole heart and soul. To do less than this will leave you with an empty feeling."

I love the idea of parenting with my whole heart and soul. One of my New Year's Resolutions has been to play more with my boys. I've been giving them my full attention for a few extra minutes each day and I must say that I have whole-heartily enjoyed it. I hadn't known it was possible, but I think it has made me love them even more.

I also recently read (thanks Jackie) an amazing talk on parenthood by Jeffrey R. Holland entitled "Within the Clasp of Your Arms". I highly recommend it. It has strengthened my resolve to be the best mother that I can be.

Do you have anything that inspires you to be a better parent?

3 comments:

Gage said...

you guys look so good in your photo. Thanks for the reminder of being a GREAT mom.

Tobi said...

You inspire me. Thanks for sharing.

Jackie said...

Thanks Jen, just what I needed today! We love you!