Sunday, January 24, 2010

Simply Taught

I have been serving in the Primary (children's classes) of my church for the last few years. I was the Primary chorister, then I taught the 5-6 year olds and now I teach the Sunbeams (3-4 year olds). One of the things I love best about Primary is the wonderful music. So many of the songs teach the docterine of the church so clearly and so simply. I feel the spirit every time I sing them. I grew up singing many of these songs, but every year at least one new one is included for the annual primary program. Some of these I just LOVE! This year's I Know That My Savior Loves Me is wonderful. I especially like the middle of the first verse:

"The love that He felt for His little ones
I know He feels for me.
I did not touch Him or sit on His knee,
Yet, Jesus is real to me."

The last few year's songs have included The Family is of God and If the Savior Stood Beside Me which are among my all-time favorite Primary songs. I love that Parker is learning all of these wonderful songs. He can already sing his little heart out for a few of them. I love these songs so much, in fact, that sometimes when I am doing dishes or folding laundry, I will just turn on the CD, even if the kids are napping. It is very calming and helps keep me cheerful even while doing these menial tasks.
If you are unfamiliar with these songs or just want to listen, I have created a playlist of some of my favorite Primary songs below.
What are your favorite inspirational songs?

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

4 comments:

vance and aly said...

The primaary songs are the only reason I miss teaching primary. The are so well done and simply touching.

Kristen said...

Well said! This is one of the reasons I love teaching primary! The most simple truths are often the most profound and meaningful.

cfernelius said...

I'm in the Primary Presidency right now and I absolutely love the new song this year! I cry every time we sing it (I cry every time we sing most primary songs). Some of my other favorites are: He Sent His Son, Scripture Power, A Child's Prayer...there are so many of them. It's great to be reminded of the simple, yet powerful truths of the gospel each week.

Anonymous said...

I love 'Families Can be Together Forever' and 'Love One Another.' Sooo beautiful!