Monday, June 21, 2010

Tribute to Dads

I am such a lucky girl! I have so many wonderful men in my life. With this weekend being Father's Day I want to pay tribute to them.

I'll start with my own amazing dad. Some of the things I most admire about him are his honesty, his work ethic and his provident living. My dad is the most honest person I know. He works hard and is very wise with his money. He would much rather do without than buy on credit. He is such a wonderful example to me. My dad also has an incredible memory. If he has ever learned anything, then he surely remembers it. Anytime I ever had a question about a math problem or couldn't remember some fact, my dad was (and often still is) my first resource. I have many fond memories with my dad. All growing up he would take out each of us five kids out on an individual date several times a year. We usually did fairly inexpensive activities, but I always looked forward to spending that time doing fun things with my dad.My father-in-law is such a wonderful man. I love that he shares his testimony of the gospel with us and always lets us know how much he loves us. I feel so fortunate to have married into such a great family!

I have fond memories of my grandpas, step-grandpas and grandpas-in-law. My grandfathers have passed away, but I like to help Parker and Jason get to know them a little through the things I and others tell them.

I also have great brothers, brother-in-laws, uncles and other men who lead such examplary lives.I feel like I married the most wonderful man in the world. Brad has so many great qualities, but the fact that he is an amazing father is one of my favorites. I love that he is such a hands-on dad, even with the less-desireable things; He's willing to change messy diapers and get up with them in the night. Like I said, I'm a lucky girl.

Our boys adore their daddy and want to be just like him. Parker thinks he might want to be an "incountant" so that he can do math with big number just like his daddy. They love to wrestle, tickle and play lots of games. Brad sings them songs before bed. They love to sit together and eat popcorn. These boys have so much fun with their daddy. I can't wait to see what Brad will be like with a daughter!

I love that Brad works so hard for us and that he sets such a good example of loving the Savior and putting Him first in his life. Our boys love waving to Daddy as he sits on the stand at church and as soon as the closing prayer is said they hold hands and march up to meet their dad. It's adorable.

On Father's Day Parker sang "Fathers" and Daddy's Homecoming" with the other Primary children. I love that he sings really loud, so that I could hear him even though I was several rows back. Brad loved it too, of course. In the afternoon we gave him our gifts. Parker loves doing "heavy hangover" with gifts and Jason is starting to catch on as well.

Then we visited with Brad's grandparents. Later we visited with both my family and Brad's. Today Brad left to scout camp, so we're left without our daddy for a few days. I miss him already though I'm quite used to not seeing him much in the days. It helps me appreciate how fortunate I am to not have him traveling a lot, deployed or anything else that would keep me from him more. Parker said something really cute tonight as I tucked him into bed. "Mommy, Daddy isn't here to be with us, but someone else is watching over us: God!" I'm so glad that he recognizes that. He continued on to say, "Even though Daddy isn't here, we get to keep him forever as long as we're good. Sometimes I'm not, but then I 'bepent' so we'll be together forever!" What comforting and true docterine.

Thanks to all of you wonderful men! We love you!

No comments: