A week ago our stake had a day of service. They had lots of different projects to choose from, along with service activities for the primary and a nursery. Some of the projects were pruning a community garden, raising headstones in the cemetery, tying quilts and cleaning up beside the highway. Brad and I signed up for that last one. I just swept the sidewalks, but everyone was hard at work trimming, digging, cleaning up garbage, etc. The road really looks so much better now!
Parker helped clean up the high school grounds and then assembled school kits for the Humanitarian Center. Afterwards they had a catered Mexican Fiesta complete with a Mariachi band.
I really appreciated the opportunity to serve. My dad is a great example to me of service. For the past decade at least he has served multiple hours a week. He used to volunteer helping to tutor in underprivileged classrooms and for the last several years he has tutored adults learning English as a second language. He's very faithful about it and I admire him greatly for it. With children, however, it's hard to find the time to serve more than donating money or making the occasional meal for a neighbor. In a way that's what I do much of the day- serve, but mostly just my family. There is so much need out there. I need to be more creative about finding ways to help others. I certainly enjoyed this church activity.
No comments:
Post a Comment