Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Nature's Beauty

Over the past few years I have been learning how to garden.  I started out with only two pots and started experimenting.  Some plants have been successes and others I have over or under watered enough that they couldn't survive.  Finally, on my fourth year, I am starting to feel like I have more than a vague idea of what I am doing.  
One of fun part about gardening every year is watching my perennials start growing all by themselves.  I love the smell of these Hyacinths.  This top photo was taken back in March when they were in bloom (I had just watered and you can see all of the little water droplets).  Every time I opened the back door we could smell the fragrance!  I wish they lasted a little longer, but by the time their blooms are wilting it's about time to plant other things.  The below photo is of the same section of garden.  All of the hyacinths have been chopped down low, so they look kind of funny, but the Marigolds, Lobelia and Dianthus are bright contrasting colors to look great. 

 Our back patio is a little crowed with all of our pots.  Our tomatoes, Rosemary and peas are starting to grow well and our Basil and Cilantro are peeking through.  I'm experimenting with zucchini in a pot.  I'm not sure it will work out in a relatively small growing space, but we'll see.
In our other little garden spot, we have our berries.  The tallest plants are the raspberries, the little one on the  right with the white berries are blueberries and all of the other smaller ones around are strawberries.  Yum!
In front of our home we have some flowers growing too. 
 It makes me happy to look out our window and see their bright colors.
 These lilies are another perennial from last year.  Last year there was only one stem, but it seems they have expanded.  Lillies are one of my favorite flowers, so I'm excited for them to bloom.
 Out front by our garage there are more flowers.  Actually there are more in the back I didn't post photos of as well.
 I've started to really enjoy gardening and am glad we can find a way to do it in our little townhome!

No comments: