Without Offense: The Art of Giving and Receiving Criticism I didn't really feel like I was all that critical of a person, but this book has really given me reason to stop and think before being contrary or attempting "constructive criticism". It has great advice for parenting, spouse relations and basically any relations. I'm afriad that fully living by the advice is a work-in-progress, but I am working on it. This is a book I think I'll buy- or at least check out from the library again and again. It was excellent!
Love One Another: It was all good, but I especially appreciated the first disc. He talks about goals and wishes. Goals depend entirely on you. Wishes involve others. If you base your happiness on wishes, you are setting yourself up for unhappiness. Here is a quote from this book: “As human beings we need to love and to be loved. Many of us spend much of our time trying to be loved, yet we have zero control over being loved. But we have 100% of control over loving other people. So, where
should we put our energies? We need to find satisfaction and joy in loving other people.”For All Eternity: A Four Talk Set to Strengthen Your Marriage This audiobook gave some great suggestions on how to understand each other better and help meet each other's needs. He's really pretty funny too, which makes it really entertaining. I feel like Brad and I have a really solid marriage, but his suggestions have helped us improve our relationship as well.
Actually, speaking of marriage advice, I randomly picked up another audiobook at the library that ended up being really good too. It's Cracking the Communication Code by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. It reminded me of just how different men and women can be. His main idea is that women crave love and men crave respect (Ephesians 5:33). He goes through ways to fill those basic needs in each other. I had no idea what it was really about when I stumbled upon it, but it was certainly worthwhile.
Scroll down to the bottom of my page and I have some other books I've enjoyed.
No comments:
Post a Comment