We had Stake Conference this past weekend. Both the Saturday and Sunday sessions were fantastic! Saturday was just our stake and Sunday was a broadcast to many stakes throughout Northern Utah. There were a lot of messages that were meaningful to me, but I'll just share a few thoughts.
One of the counselors in our stake titled his talk "Serving with a Happy and Obedient Heart". I really like that phrase. I think that if we can approach our jobs, our callings, our communities and our families with that attitude, we will be joyful and spread that joy to others.
Relating to obedience, Sister Cheryl C. Lant, General Primary President, spoke of the Stripling Warriors from the Book of Mormon. These young men "did obey and observe to perform every word of command with exactness; yea, and even according to their faith it was done unto them; and I did remember the words which they said unto me that their mothers had taught them" (Alma 57:21).
I want to become more like those men and promptly obey with exactness. She quoted one of my favorite sayings of President Ezra Taft Benson: “When obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest, in that moment God will endow us with power.” I am determined to be better. I also want to teach my children to be obedient to God's will as well.
Also on Sunday, President Henry B. Eyring of the First Presidency spoke. He related the reasons that the early Pioneers settled in the Salt Lake Valley. He quoted President Brigham Young about the challenges of the settling the area, but said that because of the hard work involved in making the Salt Valley a beautiful, productive place, it was “a first-rate place to raise Latter-day Saints.”
I know that I am at my best when I am working hard. Of course, not to the point where I feel overwhelmed. Just to where I can feel a great sense of accomplishment for all of the effort I have put in. That applies to all aspects of my life, small and great.
One example is all of the time and energy that goes into parenthood. I enjoy a lot of it, but cleaning all those messes, doing all those dishes and laundry, changing all those diapers, curbing the sibling abuse and everything else that goes into it are plain hard work. I am, however, thoroughly convinced that I would not be as fulfilled if I had someone else to do all of the dirty work.
I still need the reminder sometimes of the benefits of work. I will strive to work hard to serve with a happy and obedient heart.
Also, I've mentioned these once before, but I really like the Mormon Messages. There are so many I like. If you haven't checked them out, here you go.
What-Matters-Most
No comments:
Post a Comment