Thursday, July 01, 2010

Tell Us Your Thoughts on These Baby Names

We're so excited to be having a another baby in our family! We've been having fun thinking of all of the possible names for our little girl. There certainly are a lot of adorable names out there!

Jennifer was the #1 name for my year and several years before and after (15 years straight). Growing up with a name that popular meant that half the time I heard my name, people weren't really talking to me. I always had to go by my last initial to differentiate me from the five other Jennifers, Jennys and Jens in my class. I like the name well enough, but am very hestitant to name any of my children anything in the top ten names for the year. I regularly check the popularity of names here.

On the other hand, my maiden name is a little uncommon. It's not really that unusual, but I often had to spell it and correct people's mispronunciation of it. For that reason, I am hesitant to name a child something that could often be mispronounced our misspelled.

That said, hesitant does not equal refusal. Some of the names we like fall into those categories of very popular or hard to spell/pronounce. We'll have to see what we end up doing. Some of our top choices are names we've liked for a very long time (Elise I've liked since I was fifteen), while other names we're just now considering.

Please let us know which names you like best and why. This list also includes their meanings and because a couple of these are uncommon, I've included the pronunciation too.

Possible Baby Names


Brielle (bri-ELL) - Exalted beauty

Brynlee/Brynnlee/Brynnlie (BRIN-lee) - Virtuous princess

Elise (e-LEES) - Consecrated to God

Juliette/Juliet (JOO-lee-et) Youthful or soft-haired

Liesel/Liesl (LEEZ-ul) - God's promise

Michelle (mi-SHELL) - Who is like God?

Mylee (MIE-lee) - Smiley or vine

Natalie (NAT-ǝ-lee) - Christ's birthday

Sabrina (sǝ-BREEN-ǝ) - Passionate or the name of a Welsh river

Wendy (WEN-dee) - Friendly, invented by J.M. Barry


Brad and I have a few favorites, but for now we want to know what your think. Even though we may or may not take your opinions into consideration when deciding a name, I'm still interested in your comments. Please tell us your thoughts.

9 comments:

The Hyer Family said...

I absolutely love Juliet--I keep trying to get my hubs to use it if we have another girl, but it's too close to his sister's name, so he shoots it down. But that's my first vote. Also like Sabrina and Liesel. Mylee makes me think of Mylee Cyrus, who I don't care for (at all), but maybe your Mylee could make me think of someone more positive! Not that you care what I think, but for what it's worth! Go Juliet!

Tobi said...

I'm loving Brynlee, Elise, and Natalie. What about Brynne?

My new favorite girl name is Blakeley. I'm sure whatever you choose will be fitting for your little angel!

lys said...

I like Liesel. I think it sounds good with your last name. Also, it's unique. . . but not too unique.

Elise would be my second pick. Interestingly enough it is made up of same letters as Liesel (plus an extra "l"). It also pairs well with your last name.

Mylee makes me think of Miley Cyrus.

Juliet is cute, but you already have a "J" name with your son Jason. (Not that it matters, but, variety is always good. . .)

Sabrina makes me think of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch."

vance and aly said...

I think they are all very pretty names so you can't go wrong with any of your choices. Just go with the one that you both like. I had a Brinlee in nursery and she was the cutest little girl. I think the kid makes the name not the other way around.

Jim and Jess said...

Oh I LOVE Elise!! That's probably my favorite. I also really like Brielle!

Good luck! How fun to be having a little GIRL! :D

Sarajane said...

Liesl! such a great name and sounds great with your last name. Or Elise- cute name, and if you have liked it that long, you really like it, and you might be sad not to use it.
that's my two cents.

Jackie said...

Okay my first vote is Elise... It just totally fits and makes me think of the perfect princess! I also really like Brielle and Liesel although Liesel could easily be mispelled. I'm not a fan of Michelle, it seems so old school, same with Wendy. I like Mylee but is way too popular with Miley Cyrus and we're not huge Miley fans anymore. Juliette is totally cute, but with all the T's it doesn't really flow with your last name. Natalie and Brynlee are cute too, but pretty popular. I know a lot of Natalie's and like 3 Brynlee's! Sabrina reminds me of the teenage witch. Either way though, that's just my 2 cents! Whatever you name her will be perfect for her! :)

Dave and Pam Pratt said...

I really like Brielle. It can have a cute nick name "Bree". I also like Brynnlee and Elise. That would be my top picks.

cfernelius said...

Jen, I love Elise and Liesl - they're beautiful. I really like uncommon, older names. I think my favorite is Liesl. Good luck with your decision!