Sunday, September 11, 2011

Compassion and Gratitude

Like many of you, I remember very clearly where I was ten years ago, when I heard what had happened. I was taking the bus up to the U of U for an early class. As I was riding, another passengers cell phone rang. Almost immediately the passenger announced that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. My first reaction was that someone must be joking. Then I wondered how an accident like that could possibly happen. The bus driver turned on the radio and we all listened to the report. I was still on the bus when they announced that the second tower had also been hit. I couldn't believe that this had really happened, even though the news was showing it everywhere I looked. What could compel someone to have such a complete disregard of human life? What had happened to them to make them plan such a thing, let alone act on it?

I was very inspired by the surge of compassion that everyone seemed to feel. All Americans, and more all over the world, came together in unity and faith. This photo was taken when I was in Manhattan in September 2008.
Now, ten years later, I still feel for the victims. President Monson was a guest writer for the Washington Post today. One of my favorite parts of his comments is that "We felt the great unsteadiness of life and reached for the great steadiness of our Father in Heaven. And, as ever, we found it."

I am guilty of taking my freedoms for granted sometimes. I don't fully appreciate those who sacrifice so much to maintain it. I don't always tell my family and friends how much they mean to me. I get caught up in things that don't really matter and forget what is really important. The terrible tragedies of September 11, 2001 have reminded me once again of what is really of value and I am determined not to take it for granted.

A few weeks ago in church someone made the comment, "What if you woke up tomorrow with only what you thanked God for today?" I am so blessed! Thank you to all of you who make the world a better place. I hope we can all strive to be better.

No comments: